Rise to the Challenge – February
February is American Heart Month!
Did you know that heart disease can develop at any age? Half of all Americans have at least one of the top three risk factors for developing heart disease. The top three risk factors are high blood pressure, high cholesterol and smoking. Other conditions can also put you at risk for developing heart disease including obesity and diabetes. Physical inactivity and unhealthy eating patterns can also increase risk.
Join Serco Wellness in a number of ways as we support heart healthy behaviors this month:
- Wear red this Friday, February 7 on National Wear Red Day. Your show of support and awareness will earn you one wellness ticket entering you into the Rise to the Challenge grand prize raffle drawing at the end of the year. Take a picture of you wearing red with your team, co-workers or by yourself (on this and any day in February) and send it to email@example.com. Just be sure that no confidential information is in view when you take the picture.
- Show some love for your heart and check out how you can reduce your risk of heart disease:
- Increase the amount of fruit and vegetables you eat. At least half your plate should be filled with fruits and veggies.
- Limit foods with added sugar.
- Reduce the amount of foods you eat that are high in sodium.
- Stay physically active. Getting the recommended 150 minutes of moderate physical activity per week is a great place to start.
- Visit the American Heart Association at https://www.heart.org/en for more information on heart health.
Looking for more ways to be more heart healthy? Check out National Institutes of Health’s healthy behaviors calendar for February. 28 Days Towards a Healthy Heart.